Tuesday 2 September 2008

[poem:] Julie Boden: Inuit snow Song

The ice is melting fast, my love,
and sighs of seals sing low
as waves grow heavy with ice, my love
and sea dissolves the snow.

And no one knows the words, my love
to tell these winds of change;
they blow bewildering fast, my love
to turn our homeland strange.

How can they tell our world, my love
in words they do not know ?
The Greeks had many a word for grass
but all our words are snow.

Oh how will our descendants see
this world our words could blow
like powder from a looking glass
to tell us all we know?

To tell us all we know, my love,
to show us what will be.
Oh, who will tread our footsteps, love
when all returns to sea.

The ice is melting fast, my love.
The sighs of seals sing low.
My heart grows heavy with ice, my love.
Come sing your words of snow.

My heart grows heavy with ice, my love.
Come sing your words of snow.

No comments: